Sunday 9 January 2011

EVALUATION
Question 1/


In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My final music video and ancillary tasks consist of a video, digi-pack and magazine poster of christina Aguilera's song 'You lost me' is now completed. I will now discuss in what ways my mediaproducts use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products. I find with my music video I did challenge forms and conventions as I didnt use all of goodwins theory, however I did use his theory too. I used the notion of looking; I developed this convention by only using the notion of looking in small doses as I wanted to give a subtle effect and not such a direct approach towards the audience.




I used within the music video music to visuals, as within the flashbacks the man is seen pulling the woman back into his arms and my partner and I made the movement match the beats of the music. Within Goodwin's theory I did use music to visulas but we didn't really use lyrics to visuals which is also apart of Goodwin's theory. My partner and I decided not to use this particualr convention as we didn't think it would fit within the music video as a lot of the lyrics would be hard to be shown visually.




My music video shows a performance/narrative concept which does follow Goodwin's theory of genre characteristics. As it shows the main 'performer' singing, it then also shows her within her own story of what she is singing. My partner and I wannted an intertextual reference to our music video. We decided to display this intertextual concept as a film. When the flashbacks are shown it looks like a thriller film, this was good as this is what my partner and I wanted to achieve as we found intertextuality interesting.When we were editing our music video and saw this 'film like' part of our video we were worried it looked to much like a thriller, however once we watched it back my partner and I thought it worked with the other parts of the performance parts of the music video. The screen shot below shows the back and white flashback for the narrative part of the video.




Close-ups was very important to my partner as the song we have chosen to do was very emotional. The close-ups are part of the convention of music videos as suggested in Goodwin's theory gave us an opportunity for our actress to show true emotional in her face while she was lip syncing to the song. We used different close-ups and extreme close-ups such as the actress eyes and lips.




When doing the ancillary tasks my partner and I wanted to kepp continuity between the ancillary tasks and the msuic video. My partner and I did this by keeping the same house colours this has created a brand identity. When filming we originally by chance found our house colours fabric that we found as we wanted to put it on the stool for the actress to sit on. The colours were reds, orange and black. We thought these colours were perfect as they showed the coulours of being angry, passionate and sad which the 'singer' within our music video was. We showed a lot of this on our CD pack and magazine poster. I also showed on the digi-pack all of the same actors from the same actors from the music video. I also on my digi-pack named the album diary of my broken heart, then on the one of the pictures on the gigi-pack showed a photograph of a ripped up bits of the 'singers' diary zoomed in, with different songs from the album and different lyrics from the single and music video on torn up bits of paper from her diary. Also to show brand identity I have used the same two font's Dutch 801 Rm BT Bold and Footlight MT Light within both the digi-pack and the magazine poster.

House colours, Orange, red and black.







I have found that I have used Goodwin's theory more than I haven't used his theory as I have shown a relationship between music and visuals, I have shown intertextual reference, i have used the notion of looking, i have used close-ups of the artist and it is based mainly on a performance/narrative based type of music video.




We have used a small dose of the notion of looking within the music video, we only wanted to have a subtle approach to the notion of looking as we thought too much notion of looking did not fit with our particular music video. It also did not fit with the intertextual element we wanted to have for our video of being simular to a fillm, as within a film the actor does not normally look at the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment